Saturday, May 13, 2006

 

My Tremendous Husband

My husband always misuses the word tremendous. He thinks it is a superlative, as in, "I had a tremendous time." He is always describing the very best things as if they were tremendous. I've been married to him for almost eight years, but I've never corrected him, never once told him that tremendous means large, as in tremendous debt.

As an editor by trade, I am often annoyed by abuses of the English language. I cringe at data used in the singular. Impact as a verb is abhorrent. I generally bemoan the sad state of the apostrophe. Hyphens are a daily horror. The comma, a travesty. Don't even get me started on the semicolon.

Not that I'm a purist. A wise person once said that an inflexible language is a dead language. There is a certain latitude one may employ. I have recently accepted into my personal lexicon the word email as a verb. There is a precedent for it: We say that we are going to mail a letter just as easily as we say we're going to deliver the mail.

Although such misuses and abuses usually make me apoplectic, my husband's idiosyncratic vernacular often takes on the quality of an aphrodisiac. It's his bald enthusiasm for the word tremendous that undoes me, his obliviousness to the error. This is a man who can use the word gal without a hint of offensiveness. He isn't some swaggering Neanderthal talking down to the little lady. When he calls me his gal, the word is rooted in the most earnest bluegrass song ever sung. Gal is ringed in daisies, all the petals saying he loves me. It's quite tremendous.

Comments:
As an English teacher, I've never had an aphrodisiac reaction to misused words. I have noticed, however, an increased-- nearly allergic-- sensitivity to certain misuses. The worst of these is my reaction to the misuse of the word "where" as in: "There was an episode of The Simpsons where Homer blah blah..." or "Diabetes is where your pancreas can't blah blah" or, most preposterously, "I am looking forward to a time where blah blah..." When did TELEVISION SHOWS, MEDICAL CONDITIONS and TIME become defacto LOCATIONS?
 
Your second last sentence is beautiful.
 
I got so tickled when I read these lines: "Hyphens are a daily horror. The comma, a travesty. Don't even get me started on the semicolon." Actually, your entire post is delightful. I, too, cringe at blatant abuses of the English language, yet there are those occasional "bald enthusiasms" that assuage the pain.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?